Storytelling is an important skill that helps children put their thoughts into words. It can be difficult for very young children to just tell a story though. They need some guidance. Better yet, they need a prompt that will set their imagination soaring. That is where story starters come in.
Free Kindergarten Story Starters:
Kindergarten story starters need to be simple enough that any 5-year-old could finish the thought. However, you do not want them to be too simple. The best story starters will have young children reading or writing several sentences. It gets the ball rolling for them, and inspires them to build their storylines. Try some of these free kindergarten writing prompts with your kindergartener this week.
50 Story Starters for Kindergarten
- If I flew to the moon, I would
- I went to the end of a rainbow, and found
- If I were 10 feet tall, I could
- My favorite season is______, because I can____
- You won’t believe the strangest thing I have ever seen. It was
- One time I took my teddy bear on an adventure. So, we
- If I owned a big boat, I would
- The best part about kindergarten is
- When I am 100 years old, I will
- I found $1000 on the road, so I
- When I grow up, I want to
- The craziest dream I ever had was
- If I could live under the ocean, I would
- If I could be any animal, I would
- I think 5 years olds should be allowed to
- I am a superhero and this is what I can do.
- Jack took me up the beanstalk and we
- Once, I snuck onto Santa’s sleigh, and then
- If I were as small as an ant, the world would
- What was your best day ever? What made it special?
- Where would you live if you could live anywhere in the universe?
- A genie promised me 3 wishes, so I chose
- My favorite color is______, because____________________
- My bedroom is so cool because
- My dad has taught me
- If I could build a house, it would
- I just got this super awesome, kid-sized car, and then
- If I could go into space, I might
- My grandmother always
- When I was a baby, I
- The best part about my neighborhood is
- The worst day ever was when
- In the winter, I
- I bet you never knew I could
- What is your favorite story? Can you tell it to me?
- If I were a farmer, I would grow
- Last night, I dreamt
- If you were trapped on a desert what 3 things would you want to have with you?
- Once upon a time, there was
- When I went to the zoo
- I was digging a hole, and then I found
- I cast my line into the lake, and then
- I walked backwards for two days, and then
- My sister made me
- The coolest toy ever would be
- If I could live in a movie, I would
- If I were a parent, my kids would
- If you could design a vehicle what would it be?
- My favorite gift ever was
- The first memory I have is
Interactive Kindergarten Writing Prompts
If you have a little one that enjoys some hands-on learning then you’ll LOVE our new Interactive Writing Prompts Bundle! With 200+ Kindergarten Writing Prompts you’ll have everything you need to teaching writing over the entire year. Featuring no-prep writing activity pages, each sheet includes a helpful word-page, a starting sentence, and an engaging picture for students to write their responses. Best of all, these pages can be cut out and placed inside a notebook to create a lasting keepsake or writing portfolio for the kindergarten year.